Benenden Health Insurance
- Prices From: £6.00
- No Claims Discount: Nil
- Excess/Co-pay: No
- Max Total Cover: Limited
A mutual healthcare society rather than a company that must answer to its stockholders, Benenden Healthcare Society, or just Benenden, offers healthcare services to employees in the public sector, registered charities and other organizations. Members of Benenden pay £1.50 per week for access to private healthcare services including treatment at 13 hospitals across the UK. Benenden has limited services to keep premiums low for all members, but with a flat premium and no age limits or medical exam, joining Benenden is simple.
Benenden is a collection of subsidiaries that have a similar purpose and ethos on providing healthcare services and supporting wellbeing. Started in the Benenden hospital in 1907, Benenden is one of the UK’s oldest and most respected mutual healthcare societies. There are currently more than 940,000 members of the Benenden Healthcare Society, and the Society is open to all public sector workers and families as well as approved organizations.
Unlike other healthcare providers, Benenden has a single plan available to all of its members for a standard weekly rate of £1.50. The healthcare plan includes the following services.
Advisory and preventative:
You have access to a 24-hour GP advice line and a 24/7 stress counseling helpline as well as a health concern advice line and long term care advice. As a member of Benenden, you’ll receive the award-winning behealth magazine and discounted health screenings.
Diagnosis, treatment and rehabilitation:
After six months, you’ll have access to local consultations and tests as well as treatment and surgery options in the Benenden hospital or regional treatment centers throughout the UK. The treatment and surgery is not an emergency plan nor does it allow tremendous flexibility in your choice of hospitals and providers the way private health insurance would.
With the Benenden plan, you’re able to gain access to surgeries and treatments faster than if you were required to wait for the NHS in it’s award-winning hospital, but don’t have the flexibility of private insurance. Physiotherapy and financial assistance for cancer and TB are available through Benenden as well.
Benenden is not able to offer fully comprehensive coverage to members, so there are exclusions to the services Benenden offers. Among the most notable of these exclusions, you’ll find:
- Diagnostic consultations with consultants who do not have an NHS post and are not registered with a royal college such as the Royal College of Surgeons or Physicians
- Appointments with specialists such as podiatrists, radiologists, dentists, opticians, complementary therapists or pain management specialists
- IVF treatment
- Treatment for mental health problems
- Cosmetic, breast, plastic, sterilisation, nerve, dental or maxillofacial surgery, or surgery for transplants
- Surgery for arterial, cardiac, neurological or complex orthopaedic problems or Bariatric surgery
- Consultations, tests and treatment outside the UK
- Cancer care services which are delivered by non-UK, non-VAT registered organisations
- Retrospective services, where our written authorisation has not been sought
To make the program even more enticing for those looking to join, Beneden has offered a special incentive if you join the Society before June 30. If you join before the end of June, you’ll receive a free night in a hotel for two adults.